Hazelwood Parish Church
The church of St John the Evangelist is situated at the main cross roads in Hazelwood and is an important part of village life. It was built in 1846, but almost totally destroyed by fire in February 1902, when sparks from the coal fired heaters, which had been lit for a funeral, set fire to the roof. However, the funeral took place in the churchyard later that day.
The church was rebuilt within a year with a new organ (restored in 1983 and again in 2001) and in 1910 a Smiths of Derby striking clock was installed over the south porch (electric rewinding was added as the Millennium project).
Gas was eventually installed in 1925 and electricity in 1947, with electric heating added in 1956 as the boiler room repeatedly flooded
By 1963 the east window was in poor condition and was replaced by one designed by Karl Edwards and, like many of the changes to the church, paid for by public subscription. The two bells were re-
In 2008 the west end pews were removed to create an open space for meetings and a small kitchen area for refreshments was installed.
In addition to regular services, the Church is used for other events, such as Art Exhibitions, concerts and recitals. It is also a popular venue for weddings and baptisms. It is hoped that the church will soon be open on a daily basis for any interested visitors.
The annual Church Fete is held on the nearby Playing Fields and for the last 10 years has included a Classic Car Show
The original very large Victorian vicarage was sold in 1967 and a new one built on the adjoining land.
In 2006 the Benefices of Hazelwood with Shottle, Holbrook and Milford were combined.
More details can be found on the church website:
Hazelwood Parish Council